Shetland Wool Holidays
by Elizabeth Atia -
Excitement is stirring here in Shetland with the 6th annual Shetland Wool Week just around the corner! On Saturday the 26th of September wool afficinados from all around the world will have arrived in Shetland for a week of celebrating all that is Shetland wool.
I'm very much looking forward to it!
However, you might be wanting to come to Shetland and explore the wool scene, but the timing of the annual Shetland Wool Week isn't suitable for you.
Did you know that there are Shetland Wool Holidays you could sign up for?
Shetland Wool Holidays focusses on Shetland tutors, knitters, locations & Shetland wool.
Thursday 19th November – Wednesday 25th November 2015
Bookings can be made on and after the 22nd of September 2015 by calling: 01595 694688.
To reserve your place please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reserve your spot to avoid disappointment, as these tours are very popular.
Price of: £1,450pp
The organisers of the event would like you to join them on a six day long journey through Shetland and discover our unique textile heritage. The holiday is designed to give an insight into Shetland’s textile traditions, industry and local crofting community as well as to explore our beautiful islands.
The guided holiday includes:
- Transport within Shetland with a local guide*
- Six nights accommodation at single occupancy in a centrally located guesthouse in Lerwick
- Breakfast, lunch, tea & cake, dinner **
- Knitting classes led by some of our top tutors, including classes in Fair Isle and Shetland lace
- Knitting materials
- A goodie bag
* Please note travel to Shetland is NOT included in this holiday and ** meals NOT provided on day 1 of the holiday
DAY 1 (Thursday 19th) FREE DAY TO SETTLE IN
- Free Day to explore Lerwick and settle into the Guest House
DAY 2 (Friday 20th) SHETLAND MUSEUM AND ARCHIVES
- The holiday kicks off at Jamieson and Smith, Shetland Wool Brokers where Oliver Henry will take us on an exclusive tour and Wool Grading
- We will then be given an exclusive tour of the famous Shetland textile collection followed by lunch at Hay’s Dock Café
- In the afternoon we will take a class in working with mood boards and colour with local textile designer Joanna Hunter
DAY 3 (Saturday 21st) A JOURNEY NORTH
- The day will begin with a walk around the spectacular volcanic cliffs of Eshaness followed by lunch at Braewick Café with stunning views over the Drongs and Braewick bay
- In the afternoon we will be treated to high teas at Busta House Hotel and our 2014 SWW patron and world’s fastest knitter, Hazel Tindall, will host a class in the Long Room
- To round off the day we will sample some the finest local produce at Hay’s Dock Café
- In the evening we will wind down with a short night class in spinning & felting
DAY 4 (Sunday 22nd) SOUTH MAINLAND
- In the morning, we will travel south to St Ninian’s Isle and Britain’s largest active sand tombolo to take inspiration for the afternoon class
- After lunch and some bird spotting at Sumburgh Head we will take a class in Shetland lace taking inspiration drawn from the stunning Shetland seascapes and views
DAY 5 (Monday 23rd) THE WESTSIDE
- Then our journey will take us to the Westside of Shetland with a visit to the Sandness Mill, home to Jamieson’s of Shetland yarn, where we will receive an exclusive tour by Garry Jamieson
- After the tour and lunch, we will head to the Scalloway Museum where we will take a class in knitting Christmas Baubles
DAY 6 (Tuesday 24th) ISLES
- We will venture to one of the many islands in Shetland (island TBC)
- After a knitting class, we will travel back to the mainland and enjoy dinner at Frankie’s, the #1 Fish and Chip shop in the UK
DAY 7 (Wednesday 25th) LERWICK
- Check out day, where you are free to explore Lerwick and local knitting shops
Contact: email@example.com to book your place on the November tour
They are also looking to run a tour in March. If anyone wants anymore information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted in: Creative Scene