Servings: 4 people
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
IngredientsMayonnaise - home made
- egg yolks - 2
- pepper - (freshly ground)
- oil - 250 ml (rapeseed, sunflower or olive)
- vinegar - 1 tablespoon (white wine, or lemon juice)
- lemon rind - half (finely grated)
- tarragon - 1 teaspoon (fresh - finely chopped (optional))
- salt - pinch
- egg white - 1
- mustard - ½ teaspoon (dijon)
- Separate eggs and put yolks into a narrow jug. Have the oil ready in a measuring jug.
- Add salt, pepper, mustard.
- Switch on blender and mix well. Start adding the oil very slowly. Mix really thoroughly after each addition.
- When you have added about half the oil - the mixture will be really thick so add a teaspoon of the vinegar or lemon juice to thin it down.
- Continue to add the rest of the oil - you can go a little faster now. When all the oil is in - add one of the egg whites to make a thick smooth consistency. (You can add both, but this will produce a very thin mayonnaise - however this could be fine for say, a big bowl of coleslaw)Stir in the chopped tarragon and lemon rind, scrape into a clean jar and store in the fridge. It will keep for several weeks.
All you need to do now is to hard boil 4 eggs (for 4 people) for approx. 8 minutes, shell them and cut into quarters. Allow to cool then mix into 2 tablespoons of your delicious mayonnaise - scatter over a little chopped tarragon, parsley or chives and you have a delicious lunch.This mixture also make an excellent filling for rolls or sandwiches for a fine Shetland walk.