Descend to the Moul of Eswick Lighthouse. The original lighthouse here was established in 1904 but was destroyed when a large section of the cliff collapsed into the sea on November 5, 1994. This replacement was established in 1995. Below the lighthouse is Fru (Maiden) Stack. This inaccessible sea stack had some ruins on top, which may be the remains of a monastic settlement dating back to early Norse times. Legend has it that it was the abode of a maiden, who was imprisoned here to ensure separation from some lover who was obnoxious to her stern father. She was rescued and eloped with a Norseman who scaled the cliffs to rescue her.
Continue to follow the cliffs past the Cletts of Ramnageo around the headland to Es Wick. From the headland it is often possible to hear seals ‘singing’ on the nearby Hevda Skerry. From the beach at Es Wick cross the stream and ascend the hill at the other side. From here there is a great view of the next headland of Ling Ness and the bay behind it known as the Dock of Lingness. This area is a favourite haunt of otters as well as wading birds.
From the hill descend to the narrow neck of land and follow the cliffs around the high east side of Ling Ness then along the north shore past the loch and dwelling house around to the Dock. During exceptionally severe winter storms from the south-east, the sea has come across the neck of land and around the house, forcing the inhabitants to leave. At the Dock of Lingness there is a track that you can follow south-west and back to the main road and the start point at Eswick.