Servings: 6 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- Reestit mutton - 2 lb
- Cold water - (to cover)
- Onion - 1 (finely diced)
- Potatoes - 300 grams (peeled and finely diced)
- Turnip - 225 grams (peeled and finely diced)
- Carrots - 200 grams (peeled and finely diced)
- Water - 2 pints (or lamb stock)
- Place the reestit mutton in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and continue to boil for almost two hours, or until tender. Remove the meat from the pan.
- Reserve a ladleful of the cooking water. Skim off the fat and add more water (or lamb stock) to your own taste.
- Add the chopped potatoes, carrots, turnip and onion and boil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Mash the vegetables into smaller pieces, if desired, and add the reestit mutton, finely chopped for the last few minutes of cooking.
- Serve with buttered bread.
Storage advice for unused reestit mutton: Store in a dry environment. Do not refrigerate. Alternatively, cut to your requirements and freeze.