Shetland has a long tradition of welcoming people from different cultures and countries. It has a thriving economy full of opportunities and offers residents the ideal work/life balance. From oil and gas and fishing and aquaculture to tourism, teaching healthcare and the creative industries, there are plenty of sectors to make your mark in.
If you’re interested in moving to Shetland, there are several ways in which you can find out about the jobs on offer:
- Shetland Islands Council is one of the isles’ biggest employers and its latest vacancies are advertised on our Current Vacancies page. There you’ll find the latest local authority opportunities in sectors such as teaching, care work, social work and planning.
- Healthcare and other NHS posts can be found on our Island Medics page. You can also find out more about our local health authority on the NHS Shetland website.
- If you're interested in sports and recreation jobs, the Shetland Recreational Trust advertise the latest vacancies on their website.
- Most private sector vacancies are advertised on The Shetland Times and Shetland News websites.
- The UK government website also advertises a range of public and private sector vacancies, which you can search by postcode.
- If you want to look for employers in particular fields, a good starting point is the Shetland Business Directory.
- To talk over your employment prospects and get advice on career development in Shetland, contact Skills Development Scotland's Shetland office.