Ways to Relax at Mid-Summer
by Helen Smith -
Mid-summer is such a magical time of year in Shetland - the wild flowers are abundant, the birds are putting on aerial displays, the nights are long and life's pretty much perfect! If you're in Shetland at this time of year you're already lucky - but here's my "Lucky 7" things for you to try out while you're here.....
1. Take to the Seas! Charter a boat, take a tour, go fishing (catch a big one!), or take a ferry ride - Shetland has an amazing coastline and taking to the sea is a great way to explore the isles and of unwind from the stress of daily life.
2. Head to the beach - it won't be crowded some European resorts, but Shetland boasts a great number of white sandy beaches.
3. Explore ancient ruins and imagine what life was like "way back when......."
4. Go bird watching - go "awwww" at the puffins at Sumburgh Head, marvel at the storm petrels as they swoop into Mousa Broch round about midnight, or gasp as gannets dive into the sea at the back of Noss.
5. Take time to watch Shetland foals playing in the fields - and take LOTS of photos of how amazingly cute they are!
6. Go otter spotting. You can book with a tour operator, or you might be lucky to see ones at the Yell ferry terminal.
7. Unwind, breathe the fresh air.................and relax................
Posted in: News