Servings: 2 people
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- fresh mussels - 1 kg
- onions - 2 small
- butter - 1 tbsp
- streaky bacon - 1 slice (or more, to taste)
- beer - generous splash ((we used Valhalla Ale - White Wife))
- cornflour - 1 tbsp (to thicken)
- mustard - 2-3 tbsp (to taste)
- Peel and quarter one of the onions and add to a pot along with the mussels and some salt water. Cook for 3-4 minutes, and discard any mussels which haven't opened.
- Remove the flesh from the mussels and add to a frying pan along with some butter, the remaining onion, finely chopped and the chopped bacon. Fry for one minute.
- Sprinkle with the cornflour and stir until combined. Add the mustard and a splash of beer, and continue to cook, adding more mustard if desired, until it thickens.
- Serve with bread to mop up the juices.