South Indian Pumpkin Curry
Servings: 4 people
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 - 30 minutes
- pumpkin - 800 grams (or butternut squash, peeled and chopped)
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tbsp
- red chili powder - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- salt - (as required)
- cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- - 12-15 curry leaves
- coconut milk - 2 tins
- few sprigs coriander -
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp (or coconut oil)
- Basmati rice - 250 grams (washed and drained until the water runs clear)
- water - 500 grams (or vegetable stock)
- salt to taste -
- cumin seeds - 2 tbsp
- carrots - 2 (chopped finely)
- oil - 2 tbsp
- green peas - 1/2 cup
- red onion - 1 (chopped finely)
- To prepare the pumpkin curry, add the oil and spices to a pan and turn the heat to medium.
- Once the mustard and cumin seeds start popping, add the pumpkin and stir.
- Add the coconut milk and let it cook for 20-30 minutes, adding more water if needed. Season to taste.
- To prepare the rice, toast the cumin seeds in a dry pot until they brown and release that nutty aroma.
- Add the oil and the carrots and red onion. Stir over a low flame until half cooked.
- Add the basmati rice and water or vegetable stock. Allow to boil until there is water left just above the rice. Stir occasionally so that the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn the heat to low, pop a lid on the pot and leave it for 5-8 minutes. Check to see if it's cooked and then stir in the peas and the finely chopped red onion.
- Serve the rice with the pumpkin curry.
Recipe reproduced with permission from shetlandchef.com