Servings: 24 biscuits
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Shetland butter - 8 oz
- Plain flour - 8 oz
- White self-raising flour - 2 oz
- Caster sugar - 3 oz (plus extra to sprinkle)
- Cornflour - 3 oz (cornstarch)
- Preheat oven to 160 C*/ 350 F.
- Melt butter.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients, combine thoroughly. Knead well and press into an 8" x 8" square baking tin to a depth of 1/2 inch.
- Prick all over the top with a fork and sprinkle with extra caster sugar.
- Bake at 350F/160C/Gas Mark 4 on bottom shelf of oven until a pale beige colour.
- Cut into 1" by 2-3" strips while still warm. Leave to cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
*The recipe I was given suggested the temperature of 160 C/ 350 F, and I baked these biscuits at 160 C in my brand new oven (Boxing Day sales on the Lerwick high street!). However, they required an additional ten minutes to cook, so I suspect the temperature should be 180 C (which is equivalent to 350 F).