Peter Sinclair's Shetland Bannocks
Servings: 20 bannocks
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Voe bakery self raising flour - 20 oz
- Stork - 2 oz (or butter/margarine if you prefer)
- Caster sugar - 1 oz
- Shetland Dairies buttermilk - 284 ml
- Shetland hen's egg - 1
- Plain natural yogurt - 250-300 grams
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan oven)/gas mark 6 and flour a baking tray.
- Combine flour and butter into a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, buttermilk, egg and enough natural yogurt to make a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead, adding enough flour just until the dough is no longer sticky, but it is still light.
- Using floured hands gently press the dough down to a thickness of one inch.
- Cut with a biscuit cutter and place slightly spread apart on the floured baking tray.
- Bake for 12 minutes until well risen and golden on the top.
- Transfer to a wire baking rack to cool (if you can wait that long!)
Bannocks can be cooked on the stove top if you prefer, simply press your dough out slightly thinner, cut and cook on both sides over a moderate heat until browned and well-risen.