Lynn's Prize-Winning Beetroot Chutney
Servings: 2 medium jars
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Whole cooked beetroot - 300 grams (cut into 5mm dice)
- Onion - 150 grams (peeled and chopped)
- Cooking apples - 120 grams (peeled and chopped into 5mm dice)
- Demerara sugar - 40 grams
- Ground ginger - 1/4 tsp
- Malt vinegar - 80 ml
- Sea salt - 1 tsp
- Mix ingredients together in a large stainless steel pan leaving a 1 inch space at the top.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring continuously to dissolve the sugar.
- Cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into clean, sterilized jars and seal with a lid. Allow to cool and then check the lids to make sure they are sealed.
- Leave for a few months to develop in flavour before opening and serving with Unst oceanic oatcakes and Shetland cheese.