French Lemon Yogurt Cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Ingredientsfor the cake
- plain natural yogurt - 0.5 cup
- caster sugar - 1 cup
- eggs - 3 large
- plain flour - 1.5 cups
- baking powder - 2 tsp
- salt - 0.5 tsp
- lemon - 1 (zest only)
- sunflower oil - 0.5 cup
- lemon juice - 0.25 cups (freshly squeezed)
- icing sugar - 0.75 cups (plus extra to dust)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F/ 170 C/ gas mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 9 inch round cake pan with a round of baking paper.
- Combine yogurt, sugar and eggs together in a large bowl and beat until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir well. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Stir in the sunflower oil, beating well until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake is well risen, golden and springy on top. A skewer, inserted into the centre, will come out clean.
- While the cake is baking prepare the glaze: combine the icing sugar and lemon zest in a small bowl and whisk until combined. I find if I leave it for 20 minutes or so the icing sugar will dissolve so that the glaze becomes clear.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. While still warm, poke holes over the top of the cake with a skewer and spoon the lemon glaze over evenly.
- Leave the cake to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar and eating.