Frances Moffat's Chocolate Pear Cake
Servings: 1 cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- plain flour - 4 oz
- cocoa powder - 2 oz
- margarine (ie: Stork) - 6 oz
- caster sugar - 6 oz
- baking powder - 1.5 tsp
- Shetland hens' eggs - 3
- fresh pears - 2 large
- icing sugar - (to dust)
- Preheat oven to 170 C and lightly grease or line an 8 inch round cake tin.
- Cream the sugar and margarine together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and combine well.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet, and combine thoroughly.
- Peel and finely chop one of the pears and fold into the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin.
- Peel and cut the other pear lengthwise into 8 sections. Arrange on the top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until well risen and springy to touch. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cake will come out clean when it is ready.
- Leave to cool and then dust with icing sugar before serving.