Fifi's Easy Elderflower Cordial
Servings: 2 litres
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- elderflower heads - 25
- unwaxed lemons - 3
- orange - 1
- sugar - 1 kg
- water - 1.5 litres
- Check the elderflowers and remove any insects. Pull off the tiny flowers roughly from the heads into a large bowl using a fork or your fingers.
- Add the zest and juice of the orange and lemons.
- Pour 1.5 litres of boiling water into a pan and add the sugar. Stir until dissolved, heating gently if necessary. Leave to cool a little.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the elderflowers and citrus zest. Cover with a muslin cloth or clean tea towel and leave to infuse overnight.
- Strain the liquid through the scalded muslin or tea towel and pour into sterilised bottles.
- To serve, dilute the cordial to taste with still or fizzy water and serve over ice with a slice or two of lemon or a sprig of mint. It can be added to cloudy lemonade to make a non-alcoholic elderflower fizz.
You can use whole elderflower heads but apparently the stems can be a little bitter.With thanks to Fiona Cope from Hillswick for the recipe and photographs.