Chocolate Strawberry Pavlova
Servings: 6 people
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
IngredientsFor the Meringue
- Egg whites - 3 large (at room temperature)
- Caster sugar - 175 grams
- Shetland strawberries - 200 grams
- Best quality dark chocolate - 100 grams
- Sugar cubes - 50 grams (crushed)
- Whipping Cream - 284 ml
- Icing Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 140 C and place a silicone mat or baking paper onto a baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until they start to hold their shape. Do not over-whisk.
- Add the caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until it is all fully incorporated and the meringue is stiff.
- Spoon one third of the meringue onto a baking sheet and spread out to form a 15 cm circle. Drop spoonfuls of the meringue around the outside of the circle to form a meringue 'bowl'.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Don't open the door to check it! After 60 minutes, switch off the heat, open the oven door and allow the meringue to cool slowly.
- Meanwhile, break chocolate into a heat proof bowl and suspend over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir gently until the chocolate has melted.
- Dip each strawberry in the chocolate and place on a silicone mat (or other non-stick surface). Sprinkle each chocolate coated strawberry with crushed sugar cubes. Pop in the fridge for the chocolate to harden.
- Whip the cream until it is light and fluffy adding the icing sugar towards the end.
- To assemble, gently transfer the meringue to a serving plate. Top with the whipped cream and pile high with strawberries. Serve immediately.