Samantha's Chocolate Eclairs
Servings: 12 eclairs
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Water - 120 ml
- Shetland Dairies butter - 50 grams
- Salt - pinch
- Plain flour - 65 grams
- Shetland eggs - 2 medium
- Shetland Dairies whipping cream - 200 ml
- Icing sugar - 5 tsp
- Vanilla pod - 1/2 (seeds only)
- Best quality dark chocolate - 100 grams (Samantha used Green & Blacks)
- Preheat oven to 200 C and grease a baking tray.
- Put butter, salt and cold water into a small pan and heat until the butter is melted. Bring it just to the boil but don't leave it as you don't want the water to evaporate.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the flour. Beat vigorously until it comes together. It'll look messy at first, but persevere.
- Return pan to heat and cook for a further minute while beating.
- Beat the eggs and add a peerie bit of the egg into the dough mixture, beating well. Add enough egg so that a smooth, glossy pastry dough forms. You may not need all of the egg. If you pick some of the dough up with a wooden spoon you should be able to shake it off the spoon easily.
- Using a disposable piping bag (sold at Robinson & Morrisons!) pipe the dough into 4 inch lengths onto the baking tray. Use a finger dipped in cold water to press down the flick caused by the piping bag when you're finished piping.
- Sprinkle the baking tray with some water (not the pastry!) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 170 C and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven, poke a small hole in both ends of each pastry (this lets the steam out) and return to the oven for a further 5-7 minutes to crisp up.
- Transfer the pastry to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat the whipping cream until it forms soft peaks. Then add sugar and vanilla seeds and beat until it's of the desired consistency.
- Slice the pastry in half lengthwise and using a piping bag without a nozzle fill the éclairs with the cream.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a heat proof bowl suspended over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until melted.
- Dip the top of each éclair into the chocolate and leave to set.