Asparagus and Hollandaise Sauce
Servings: 4 people
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Unsalted butter - 110 grams (melted)
- Mustard - 1/2 tsp (Dijon)
- Lemon - 1 tbsp (juice only)
- Asparagus - 2 bunches (fresh, seasonal)
- First trim the asparagus, the easiest way to do this is to hold the main stem and from the bottom snap, where it naturally snaps. This will remove any woody parts.
- Place in the top part of the steamer and leave to one side
- In a glass bowl or the part of the steamer that has no holes, place the egg yolks with the mustard,lemon juice and small amount salt and pepper. With a balloon whisk blend well together.Melt the butter (this could be done in the microwave or a small pouring saucepan)
- Turn on the steamer, steam the asparagus , place the glass bowl on top of the steamer and start to pour the melted butter in a steady stream onto the egg yolks, whisking all the time. As soon as it begins to thicken, remove from the heat.If the mixture gets too hot you will get scrambled egg not a delicious sauce! (if it starts to separate, then remove from the heat immediately and whisk in a couple of ice cubes,this will lower the temperature fast and save your sauce)
- Check the asparagus with the tip of a knife, it should still have a little bite. Drain and put onto a warm plate.
- Check your sauce for seasoning and lemon juice.Pour the sauce into a small bowl,or over the top of the asparagus and serve.