Salt Herring Salad
Servings: 4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Medium-sized onions - 5
- Herrings - 3
- Peppercorns - 12
- Salt and pepper -
- Vinegar - (to cover)
- Wash, skin and clean herring thoroughly.
- Remove bones from head downwards, split open from back and cut into 8 or 10 pieces.
- Lay in pie dish with alternate layers of onion, add seasonings, cover with vinegar and allow to stand overnight.
- The salad is ready for use the next day. The vinegar softens the bones and the salad will have all the appearance and taste of cooked herring.
- The addition of boiled sliced beetroot or slices of cucumber is an improvement.