The 'Happy Days' Big Strawberry Bannock 2014
Servings: 1 big bannock
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Voe bakery self raising flour - 1 large bucket
- Shetland Dairies milk - 25.5 pints
- Strawberry crusha - 2 bottles
- Caster sugar - 1 bag
- Vegetable oil - good glug
- For a bannock this size you will likely need to construct a purpose-built oven. Concrete blocks, a galvanized steel box, chicken wire, insulating foam and some gas cannisters will make short work of this.
- Preheat oven. Although it's not customary (or advisable) to stick your head in a gas oven - needs must.
- Gather your mixing tools. Snow shovels are particularly useful here.
- Pour flour into mixing tray. Funky trousers are essential for this step.
- Pour the contents of the Strawberry Crusha bottles into the milk.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the sugar.
- Add the flavoured milk and oil.
- Mix it up.
- Mix it up good! Put your back into it boys! Shake it like a Polaroid pictir!
- Dust a baking tray with flour.
- Get someone to check to make sure you've done it right, preferably someone slightly elvish with a feather in his cap.
- Klert bannock mixture onto the baking tray.
- Press dough down with hands to cover baking tray (under the watchful eye of some fierce warrior maidens)
- Carefully carry tray to oven.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes, depending on oven temperature and thickness of bannock. When cooked, prop oven door with fence post to cool bannock before serving.
- Bring the Big Bannock to the table (this requires many hands!)
- Do a sniff test. Make sure it's edible.
- Slice and serve...
- ... there's plenty to go around!
- Don't forget the butter!