Sugar & Spice Loaf Cake
Servings: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 63 minutes
- Shetland butter - 190 grams (room temperature)
- Caster sugar - 190 grams
- Free range eggs - 3
- Plain flour - 190 grams
- Ground cinnamon - 2 tsp
- Ground ginger - 2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Shetland Dairies buttermilk - 1 tbsp
- Honey - 1.5 tbsp
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Sultanas - 80 grams (optional)
- Icing sugar - (to sieve, optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (Fan oven) and grease or line a 2 lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Cream butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Make sure it is really nice and soft.
- Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each one. If the mixture curdles keep going, Siân says it will be fine!
- Sift in flour, spices, baking powder and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Add buttermilk, honey and vanilla and mix well.
- Fold in sultanas, if using, and spoon into prepared loaf tin, smoothing over the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 23 minutes, loosely cover with tin foil and bake for a further 40 minutes (this is in Siân's oven - my conventional oven took a further 10 minutes to bake). The top will be golden and a skewer, when inserted, will come out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and sieve with icing sugar if desired. Eat warm, but leftovers will keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container.
Add chopped nuts if you like, or nutmeg and orange zest for a Christmas taste, replacing the honey with black treacle.