Spiced Shetland Beef
Servings: 25 people
Prep Time: 30 minutes on day 1 then 2 minutes each day - basting
Cook Time: 5 hours
- Rolled brisket - 4 kilo
- Black peppercorns - 10 grams
- Bay leaves - 4
- Whole cloves - 5 grams
- Whole mace - 5 grams
- Juniper berries - 10 grams
- Allspice berries - 10 grams
- Soft brown sugar - 100 grams
- Coarse salt - 100 grams
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Fresh ginger - 30 gram piece
- Assemble all the ingredients for the spice rub.
- Pound together in a pestle and mortar for maximum aroma - or use a food processor. Untie the meat and rub the spice mixture well into the meat.
- Keep meat in a cool place and baste and turn the meat daily for 7-12 days.
- Re-tie the meat firmly and place in a large pot with the spice mixture. Use water or stock (and a large glass of wine or beer if you prefer) to just cover the meat. Add a roughly chopped onion, carrot, celery, neep etc - for flavour.
- Bring to the boil then put into the oven at 100 degrees centigrade. Cooking time 5 hours.
- Remove from the cooking liquid and put the meat between 2 large plates with a heavy weight on top - a fine beach stone maybe?
- Garnish as you wish. Sliced oranges and parsley add colour and flavours.