Unleavened Malt Bread
Servings: 30 cakes
IngredientsFor the Wheat Malt
- Wheat Berries -
- Stone ground floor - 500 grams
- Ground wheat malt - 1 cup
- Sea salt - 1 tsp
- Water - (to mix)
- Place wheat berries into a glass jar and cover with tepid water. Drain, rinse, and invert the jar so the excess water can drain off.
- Fasten a clean cheesecloth with a rubber band around the jar opening and leave the wheat berries for 12 hours.
- Repeat every 12 hours and after 36-48 hours you should see sprouts appear.
- Spread sprouts on a single layer out on a baking tray and bake in a moderate oven, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When completely cooled, grind the toasted wheat sprouts between two flat stones (or in your food processor).
- Store in an airtight container until needed. A tupperware container will work but a ceramic jar with a wooden stopper sealed with beeswax is a little more authentic, if you happen to have one on hand.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the unleavened malt bread together in a medium sized bowl.
- Add enough water to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough into 30 pieces and form into small flat round cakes.
- Cook on a hot cast iron griddle until golden brown on each side.