Chocolate Mud Tart by Fine Peerie Cakes
Servings: 12 people
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
IngredientsFor the Sweet Pastry
- Plain flour - 250 grams (sifted)
- Caster sugar - 70 grams
- Shetland Dairies butter - 150 grams
- Egg yolks - 2
- Shetland Dairies Double Cream - 330 ml
- Caster Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Sea Salt - pinch
- Shetland Dairies Butter - 120 grams
- Best Quality Dark Chocolate - 455 grams (broken into pieces)
- White Chocolate - 50 grams (to decorate (optional))
- Place all the pastry ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until just combined. Knead dough lightly to form a ball and allow it to rest in the fridge for one hour, wrapped in cling film.
- When the dough is firm, roll it out so it will fill an 8" loose bottom flan. Bake blind in a preheated oven at 180 C until golden, about 18-20 minutes.
- To make chocolate filling place cream, sugar, salt and butter in a medium sized saucepan and gently heat.
- Just before the mixture comes to a boil take it off the heat and add the dark chocolate. Stir gently until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour mixture into the baked flan pastry, smooth over with a palette knife and leave to set preferably overnight.
- If you wish to have the white chocolate decoration, gently melt the white chocolate in a heat proof bowl suspended over a pan of barely simmering water. Using a spoon drizzle the melted chocolate in circles over the filling just after you've poured it into the sweet pastry. Use a knife to draw lines through the white chocolate, alternating directions for each line (ie:draw the knife from the outer edge to the centre and then from the centre to the outer edge) to make a pattern and allow to set overnight.