Servings: 25 triangles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 or until they're done
- Plain flour - 750 grams (or self-raising)
- Baking powder - 2 tsp (omit if using self-raising)
- Bicarbonate of soda - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Shetland butter - 50 grams
- Shetland Dairies buttermilk - 550 ml (if you can't find buttermilk you can mix yogurt 50/50 with milk)
- Sieve dry ingredients together
- Rub in butter
- Mix in buttermilk, do not over-knead
- Flatten dough out on a board or kitchen surface to approx 1/2 inch/1cm thick
- Cut into preferred shapes: triangles, squares or circles (or something more fancy)
- Bake on a hot oiled stove top or frying pan, turn when golden brown.
- Cook until the sides spring back into shape when gently pressed.
- The dough can also be baked like a scones or cooked under a medium hot grill
- Wrap in a tea towel when cooling to keep soft.
- Eat! (with butter or other accompaniment)
It's okay, you can cook them in the oven if that's the easiest way for you. We won't tell anyone.