Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- Split yellow peas - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black tea bag - 1
- Water - 4 cups (plus 1 cup)
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp (or 3 tbsp ghee)
- Onion - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Ginger - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Ground turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Ground cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Ground coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves - (to serve)
- Wash the peas very well and place them in a pan with the salt, tea bag and water.
- Bring to the boil, skimming the surface. Simmer until the peas are just ready (not too soft, they will still have some texture).
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the cumin seeds for a few minutes.
- Add the onion and ginger to the cumin seeds and gently fry. When the onion begins to brown add the spices.
- Add the split peas with their cooking liquid to the onion mixture.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes and then add the final cup of water at the end.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh coriander (if available!) before serving.