Braewick Cafe Lasagne
Servings: 4 people
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
IngredientsFor the Tomato Sauce
- Onion - 1 large (diced)
- Garlic - 2 large cloves (finely chopped)
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Shetland beef mince - 500 grams
- Sea salt - (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper - (to taste)
- Dried mixed herbs - 1 tbsp (or a handful of fresh, if available)
- Rosemary - 1 tbsp (chopped)
- Red wine - 125 ml
- Oxo cubes - 2 (or other beef bouillon)
- Tomato paste/puree - 1 142g tin
- Tin chopped tomatoes - 1
- Shetland Dairies Double Cream - 2 284 ml
- Vegetable Bouillon Granules - 1 tsp
- White Wine - splash
- Cheddar Cheese - 200 grams (grated)
- Dried Lasagne Sheets -
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over a medium high heat.
- Gently sauté the onion until it softens, about five minutes.
- Add beef mince and garlic and cook until browned, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until it has reduced into a lovely sauce. Set aside.
- To prepare the cheese sauce gently heat the double cream, white wine and vegetable bouillon until just before boiling point.
- Remove from heat, add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Thin with a little milk if it is too thick.
- To assemble, alternate layers of the tomato sauce with lasagne sheets in a casserole dish and top with the cheese sauce.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a preheated 200 C oven.