Braised Short Ribs with Polenta
Servings: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
- Shetland short ribs - 4 (about 1.5 kilos)
- dried cepe mushrooms - 8-10 grams
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- red onions - 2 medium (halved and thinly sliced)
- sweet red pepper - 1 (deseeded and finely chopped)
- chestnut mushrooms - 250 grams (finely sliced)
- tomato concentrate - 1 tbsp
- dried thyme - 1/2 tsp (or oregano)
- bay leaf - 1
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper -
- water -
- parchment paper -
- polenta - 1 cup
- boiling water - 3 cups
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- butter - 2 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup (grated)
- Put the dried cepes in a small saucepan, cover with about a cup of water and bring to the boil. Cover and remove from the heat. Put aside to soak.
- In a large skillet or saucepan with a well fitted top, saute the onions until lightly golden.
- Add the chopped peppers and continue to saute for a few more minutes.
- Remove these from the skillet & add the short ribs for browning. There should be enough oil left in the pan, but add a little if not.
- Brown the short ribs until well caramelized. Add back the onion mixture & stir.
- In the meantime, remove the soaking cepes from their liquid with a slitted spoon & rinse off any dirt. Add to pan.
- Strain the soaking liquid through a fine sieve into the pan.
- Add the tomato concentrate, herbs, salt and pepper. Add enough boiling water just to cover & bring to the simmer.
- Fit a piece of parchment paper over the ingredients in the pan. Cover bake at 130 C. for 2 ½ - 3 hours.
- At 2 hours, check for water and add the sliced mushrooms. Continue braising until tender.
- Serve with polenta and vegetables of your choice. Broccoli or kale would be nice.
- To prepare the polenta, boil the water and salt in the saucepan. Slowly stir in the polenta & continue to stir until smooth. Add the butter and stir until the consistency of thick porridge. Add the grated Parmesan.